Achievements and Examples – Local Level
The culture of discrimination between men and women has persisted in our society for centuries. Depriving girls of equal opportunity is an expression of this culture. To remove this tendency from society and establish a girl-friendly environment is a long-term process. There are many forces – positive and negative – that shape public attitudes towards girls.
To date, NGCAF has involved more than one million people in its awareness-building activities. Already, we (and outside observers) have seen significant changes in public attitudes, and we believe our efforts have contributed to this change. Mass media, such as television talk shows, are now calling for protection of the girl child. Various documentary films on the deprivation of girls are appearing. A social movement has built up against early marriage. Members of the NGCAF have directly halted thousands of early marriages and promoted dowry-free marriages.
Achievements and Examples – National Level
We have accomplished-Policy Influencing:
We are putting our continuous efforts to reform relevant laws and policies for women and girls, through roundtable discussions, meetings, seminars, human chains (public mass demonstration) and workshops.
- In previous Women Development Policies (1997, 2004 and 2008), there was no separate chapter on Girl Child issue; But in 2011, we could successfully incorporate new chapter ‘Girl Child Development’ in National Women Development Policy (Section 18).
- In 1994 there were 6 Guiding principles in National Children policy and
- In 2010 there were 5 Guiding Principles
- But nothing specific on Girl Child issue.
- In 2011, we could successfully convince the government to include clause on girl child issue at 4.4 fundamental principles of National Children Policy.
- of Bangladesh endorsed the National Girls Child day and declared 30th September as the national day for Bangladesh;
- NGCAF developed a draft Proposed Comprehensive Sexual Harassment Prevention & Protection Law 2018. The draft acknowledged all kinds of sexual harassment in public places as a crime and prescribed to punish offenders.
- Engaged a group of practitioner Judges and advocate to finalized the draft law.
- Intensive relationship has been developed with different networks to raise a collective voice to pass the law.
- Strong relationship has been developed with Parliamentarian Caucus on Child Rights and Hon’ble Deputy Speaker of National Parliament.